A colleague asked via facebook “how to transfer BRC tokens from Metamask to CoinExchange.” As I was typing my response, I realized it was going to be rather long and someone else will inevitably ask me the same question, so a blog article was more appropriate.
Remember this: TOKENs and COINs do NOT sit in your wallet. They sit in a blockchain. That’s important. A wallet is just an interface so you can look at your stuff in the blockchain. All coins have their own blockchains. (LTC, BTC, ARD, ETH, ETC, and on and on.) … with one exception. 99% of all TOKENS are sitting on the Ethereum blockchain like one big happy family.
Metamask does NOT have a way to move tokens around yet.
1. Make sure Metamask is installed in your Chrome browser . Log into Metamask.
2. Go to http://myetherwallet.com
3. Click on “View Wallet Info” at the top in top menu
4. The next page will have a list of the various ways you can peek into the Ethereum Blockchain. Choose “MetaMask / Mist“
5. Click “Connect To Metamask“
6. You will see your Metamask wallet address (0x……..) and you will see your ETH balance on the right.
7. You can NOT perform any transaction on the ethereum blockchain unless you have some “GAS”. That means you need some crumbs of Ether. We call that wei which is the smallest unit of ether, just as satoshi and litoshi are the smallest unit of bitcoin and litecoin respectively. So if you don’t have any ether, go buy some. All you need is a tiny bit. Try to keep about $10-$20 worth of ETH in your ether wallet for emergencies.
8. On the right hand side where you see your ETH balance, scroll down a tad and you will see “Token Balances”
9. If you don’t see BRC, then click on Show All Tokens. If you still don’t see, BRC, then do the following:
Click on “Add Custom Token“
Enter Contract Address: 0x7501a4f0b6FCf5AB8D682A57e668214eDC3D3ea4
Enter Token Symbol: BRC
Enter Decimals: 18
BOOYAH! Your BRCs will automagically appear!
Now, to transfer them, just follow the procedures for coinexchange you can find in the following video. Again.. ya gotta have some Ether crumbs in your ether wallet FIRST before conducting any transaction
How To Transfer Token to an Exchange
(Metamask/Myetherwallet (MEW) instructions)